University Counseling Service (UCS) is pleased to offer mental health services for Transgender, Gender Non-Conforming, and Non-Binary students seeking assistance/support as part of transitioning.

The UCS is here for you to assist with:

  • Initial exploration of gender variance, gender identity, gender expression, and sexuality.
  • Treatment for depression and anxiety that may occur as a result of gender questioning or exploration, coming out, managing gender binary environments, familial concerns, and other concerns.
  • Support in managing discrimination, misgendering, and transphobic reactions.
  • Coming out, being out, and managing identity and roles with family/friends.
  • Any other care for issues and concerns related to being transgender, trans, gender non-conforming, and non-binary.
  • Many of our staff are experienced and familiar with writing letters of support for gender-affirming medical services, following a comprehensive evaluation, aligned with WPATH Standards. UCS regularly provides training for staff to ensure all of our therapists are adequately trained to provide such a service.

Getting Started

Call the UCS at (319)-335-7294 and ask for an "Initial Consultation."  You may request to meet with a staff member who is familiar with gender-based issues and concerns, but all UCS staff are sensitive and knowledgeable and can assist you if do not want to state this request upfront.  As part of this process, your UCS therapist can also assist you with a referral to Student Health and/or other agencies that provide gender-affirming medical care or other needed services.

Find out more about Trans-Inclusive Health Resources at the University of Iowa and in Iowa City: