University Housing and Dining and UCS have embedded therapists in the residence halls that are closer to where you might live, eat, or go to class.

While living on campus can be exciting and empowering, it can also come with many growing pains.  Especially for those transitioning to college for the first time, living in the residence halls can present a number of new challenges like sharing a living space with someone else (perhaps for the first time), increased responsibility and autonomy, homesickness, and living away from your familiar support systems.  Sometimes all of these difficulties add up, making it difficult to be successful and enjoy your college experience.

Sometimes it’s difficult to make the trip to the university’s counseling office.  Fortunately, if you live in university housing, UCS has a counseling office available in Catlett Hall, conveniently located on the east side of campus, close to where many students live or attend class.

What is an embedded therapist?

An embedded therapist works within a community and has specialized knowledge about that community. As University Housing and Dining embedded therapists, we are familiar with common mental health concerns students living on campus often face. Our office is located in one residence hall, but we offer services and programs in all on-campus communities.

How can I schedule an appointment?

To schedule an appointment with one of our embedded counselors, please call 319-335-7294 or stop by Catlett Hall Room 304.

University Housing and Dining embedded therapists offer a variety of services including:

  • Group therapy
  • Brief individual therapy
  • Consultation
  • Clinical workshops
  • Prevention and psychoeducational programs

The first time you come in, you will fill out some forms that tell us a little about who you are and what concerns you have. Then the therapist will meet with you for about 50 minutes to learn more about your concerns. At the end you and the therapist will work together to decide what comes next.

In an emergency or crisis related to mental health, please utilize the following resources:

  • CommUnity1-855-325-4296
  • UIHC Emergency Treatment Center: 319-356-2233
  • Contact the front desk of your residence hall to speak to a Residence Education staff member on duty.
  • Call UCS at 319-335-7294 between 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m. to request a quick access or same-day appointment.

Meet your counselor

Katy Griner

Katy Griner, LMHC

Embedded Staff Therapist - University Housing and Dining
Cathy McGinnis

Cathy McGinnis, LMHC, CADC

Embedded Staff Therapist - University Housing and Dining
Catlett Residence Hall

How do I get to Catlet Hall?

100 Catlett Hall, Room 304

Physical address

350 North Madison Street
Iowa City, IA 52242

View map