Work With Us
The University Counseling Service is a vibrant, interdisciplinary, fluid, multiculturally proficient, fun, and creative center actively engaged in the furtherance and betterment of compassionate psychological services, outreach, and training. The UCS fosters the mental health of students, staff, and faculty, nurtures student success, and contributes to a safe, welcoming, and multiculturally aware campus community.
The UCS offers a variety of services and opportunities in which staff have a role:
- An APA-Accredited Doctoral Internship since 1979 and practicum each semester
- Case Management services with a robust, local community provider network
- Advises student organizations, including Active Minds, Body Image Eating Disorders Awareness, Heart Workshop, and the UCS Student Advisory Board
- Provides counseling in English, Mandarin, and Spanish
- The UCS maintains active liaison relationships with multiple cultural communities on campus including students of color, international students, LGBTQ+ students, students of faith, first generation students, students with disabilities, and others.
What Our Team Says About Working In UCS
Why University of Iowa and Iowa City:
On our beautiful campus spanning the Iowa River, our faculty and staff enjoy access to an array of cultural, educational, and recreational activities. We strive to realize the Iowa Promise to become one of the ten most distinguished public universities in the country. There’s a lot to love about the
University of Iowa and Iowa City:
- We are Iowa’s largest employer and a university with a world-renowned reputation. From the health sciences to the arts, our aim is to provide a diverse and technologically advanced community where all can work and learn together to achieve excellence.
- Iowa City is recognized as a “Welcoming City” by Welcoming America, a national network that recognizes and supports locally-driven efforts to create more welcoming, immigrant-friendly communities. As of 2019, about 18 percent of Iowa’s 32,000 students are people of color; about 8 percent are international students.
- Iowa City is consistently voted one of the best places to live in the U.S. by everyone from Outside Magazine to the American Institute for Economic Research.
- Iowa City is one of just 20 UNESCO Cities of Literature in the world, and the only one in the U.S, establishing it as an international destination for creative thinkers.
The University of Iowa is a place for great minds to work, grow, and thrive, and there’s a lot to love about our competitive, comprehensive benefits package. Because we attract a world-class faculty and staff, we know the vital importance of world-class benefits, some of which include:
- Health and dental coverage for care at any provider you choose
- Time-off benefits for excellent work-life balance, including 24 days paid vacation
- Excellent retirement benefits with your choice of two plans, including highly generous employer contributions
- University Counseling Service provides staff with enough CE’s each year to meet Iowa licensing requirements, and offers generous professional development funds to staff
To learn more about Benefits and Enrollment, visit: the University of Iowa HR Benefits page