The University of Iowa’s Residence Education Model (REM) aims to foster Learning About Self, Discovering Relationships, and Engaging in Community in students who live on campus. Embedded therapists in University Housing and Dining support students in these learning goals. We know that making the decision to improve your mental wellness through counseling can be a difficult one. University Housing and Dining and UCS have embedded therapists in the residence halls that are closer to where you might live, eat, or go to class.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an embedded therapist?

An embedded therapist works within a community and has specialized knowledge about that community. As University Housing and Dining embedded therapists, we are familiar with common mental health concerns students living on campus often face. Our office is located in one residence hall, but we offer services and programs in all on-campus communities.

What services do University Housing and Dining embedded therapists offer?

University Housing and Dining embedded therapists offer a variety of services including:

  • Group therapy
  • Brief individual therapy
  • Consultation
  • Clinical workshops
  • Prevention and psychoeducational programs

What type of student is eligible to work with the embedded therapists?

This service is available for all students who live on campus.

How can I schedule an appointment?

You are able to schedule an appointment by emailing Katy Griner, LMHC, ( or calling the UCS front desk at 319-335-7294.

What happens at my first appointment?

The first time you come in, you will fill out some forms that tell us a little about who you are and what concerns you have. Then the therapist will meet with you for about 50 minutes to learn more about your concerns. At the end you and the therapist will work together to decide what comes next.

How do I get to the embedded counseling office?

  • From Madison Street Entrance: Take the elevator or stairs to the third floor. Room 304 is just to the left of the main desk.
  • From the T. Anne Cleary Walkway: Take the skywalk just south of the North Hall Parking Ramp into Catlett Residence Hall. Once inside, turn right towards the main desk. Room 304 will be on your right.
  • Cambus Routes: Various cambus routes stop at the intersection ofClinton and Davenport Street near Currier (#1015) and Burge Residence Hall (#1016). These routes are red, blue, interdorm, Hawkeye interdorm, and the Mayflower shuttle.

What if I am in crisis?

In an emergency or crisis related to mental health, please utilize the following resources:

  • CommUnity1-855-325-4296
  • UIHC Emergency Treatment Center: 319-356-2233
  • Contact the front desk of your residence hall to speak to a Residence Education staff member on duty.
  • Call UCS at 319-335-7294 between 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m. to request a quick access or same-day appointment.

Special Programs within Embedded Therapy