The University Counseling Service has a strong commitment to meeting the needs of diverse people. In all areas of the UCS, we strive to create an environment where all people feel welcome. As a staff, we define cultural diversity as personal or social identities based in cultural, individual, group, or role differences including, but not limited to, those based on race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, mental health status, relational and family status, religion, spirituality, language, nationality, citizenship status, social class, economic status, veteran status, disability and ability, gender identity and expression, body type and size, as well as diverse ideas, values, and lifestyles.
- Multicultural awareness is our goal in areas of the University Counseling Service
- Staff members represent a wide range of individual and cultural diversity
- Culturally diverse students are well represented as consumers of clinical services, outreach services, and training opportunities
- We have had an internal Diversity Issues Steering Committee (DISC) in place since 1994. Click here to read more about DISC
- We prioritize multicultural development for professional staff and trainees
- The UCS offers psychotherapy in Spanish, Mandarin, and English.
The University Counseling Service (UCS) of The University of Iowa has made a strong commitment to meeting the needs of culturally diverse people.
Diversity Issues Steering Committee
The UCS has been actively working to foster the development of a multicultural organization for many years.
The University Counseling Service provides continuing education each year for our staff around numerous cultural topics, including:
Black Lives Matter Meditation
A guided meditation to sleep well, heal, increase gratitude, and cultivate more patience for those who experience the psychological and physiological toll of racial trauma.
Finding Support in Our Political Climate
We at the UCS see the ways the current political climate has increased acts of racism and oppression across communities, including the UI campus.